Saturday 30 June 2012

Snack: Custard tart cup

Image 1: Custard tart cup with plastic spoon
Location: Purchased from Saint Etoile (Saint Star) a "boulangerie chaude" on ground floor of JUSCO Kornhill, Hong Kong


Food synopsis: Tastes like the the typical Hong Kong style custard tart, except the biscuit base was approximately 5 cm in height and filled with more custard. Basically, its an enlarged custard tart with a greater amount of custard to biscuit base. It was as if it was made in a tall muffin tin. This one was sweet, minimal egg-y flavour in the custard, so the bright yellow probably due to colouring or premix custard powder rather than custard made with real eggs.

Interestingly, it was served with a plastic spoon, which didn't quite work in terms of scooping out the custard. In any case, I've always most enjoyed eating custard tart by having a bit of the biscuit base and the custard in a single bite.

This is probably a great snack for those who love custard, which I do. But this one just didn't hit the spot. I love custard, but I like custard tarts more. If I ever want more of custard tarts, I don't think I'll have a custard tart cup, I'll just have 2 custard tarts or more...!

No comments:

Post a Comment