Monday 25 June 2012

Dinner: Wonton noodle soup with vegetables



Location: Chi Gei in food court in Langham Place, Mong Kok, Hong Kong


Image 1: Dinner set "Meal A" Wonton noodle soup with vegetables


Image 2: Vegetable and meat wonton noodle

Image 3: Gai larn with oyster sauce



Thank god for even my limited ability to read Chinese. Wouldn't have otherwise worked out how to order.

After being seated, each person gets a paper menu that also acts a placemat. There's ~5 set menus available labeled A - E, each having a variety of main meals to choose from, plus either a dessert, or a vegetable or a drink. Depending on the combination, e.g. Meal A + a vegetable, is a certain price or Meal A + a dessert is another price.


I wanted to compare this place's wonton noodles with Mak's noodles. The noodles at this place were even worse than at Mak's - they were hard and dry, didn't have that bounciness that I was after in a noodle. I also don't quite understand why the noodles are so fine... Maybe that's the way they're supposed to be.

The wontons were excellent - juicy and flavoursome. I went for the vegetable and meat rather than regular prawns wontons, which was an excellent choice.

The soup, again, was too salty for my liking. But I think that's because I'm accustomed to less salty tastes.

The service here was pretty good. The place was packed and crowded, which was sort of the reason why I'd chosen this one. They had this electronic earpiece/microphone system so that each staff could hear any requests made from the front or other serving staff. So the lady that was showing people to their seats would be saying "Four teas for new table 23", and bang! Whoever was closest to the tea pots at the time would be pouring out 4 cups of tea, and setting out 4 new place mats after wiping down the table.

And someone who sees another person's tea cup empty would say, "Fill teacup table 17", and soon after another person would be filling the teacups on table 17.

Super duper efficient. Really impressive.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I'm very impressed at the modern service with the earpieces. Very imperssed indeed! I guess thats what you'll need for a place really fast paced like that. Do they also have PDAs when they take down your order so the info goes straight to the cooks/chefs at the back?

    Also.... I thought you made that yourself... until I read more of it!

    ROAR

    ReplyDelete