Tuesday 12 June 2012

Mini pizza scroll (tangzhong method)

Image 1: Mini pizza scrolls with tomato, onion and cheese
Food synopsis: A rolled ball of soft bread, intertwined with freshly diced tomato, onion and a sprinkling of cheese on top.


~

It's definitely not the best looking, but the bite-sized flavours that reminded me a bit of  fresh, thick-based pizza, and the cheesy scrolls I used to get at Brumby's at South Yarra for a breakfast on the way to school.

It's quite clear from the photo that this was me experimenting with bread dough, made using the tangzhong method. This was the second time I was making bread using the this method. The first time worked out really well; I couldn't believe how soft and bouncy the bread was even after a day sitting on the counter!. Usually when I've
  made bread at home, its fresh and soft when freshly baked, but after a day, it seems to form this stale armour on the outside, and dry enough to cut your gums when biting into it. I attribute this to my house being like a fridge even in the heat of summer. 
Apparently, the optimal temperature for bread to stale at is ~4°C, the same temperature in your fridge. This has go something to do with the starch molecules being able to crystallise out more quickly, releasing the moisture they were holding in between the bread that made it soft and moist.

This tray was probably just 1/4 of the batch of dough. Usually, I'm quite a sweet tooth, and like sweet buns, but this time I was just itching to try more savoury flavour. See the other savoury breads I made with this same batch of dough: Cheese and onion bread plait,Vegemite and onion scrolls.


No comments:

Post a Comment