Thursday 5 July 2012

Snack: Tofu cake


Image 1: Tofu cake


Location: 櫻島麵包餅店 Sakurashima bakery
Corner Triangle Street / Wan Chai Road
55 Wan Chai Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
香港島灣仔灣仔道55號


Food synopsis: Sweet springy sponge cake, with no particular flavour such as egginess or tofu.


~


I was curious to try this 'tofu cake'. I bought it only because I thought they used tofu in making it, but after tasting it, there seemed to be no tofu or soy flavour at all. In fact, it was just a nice symmetrical piece of sponge cake. A bit like 'Malai goh' / Malaysian cake but I think this was baked instead of steamed. Very springy though. The holes were also very fine and generally quite even. 

Now I think its called tofu cake because it looks like a piece of tofu...? Perhaps they did use some tofu in it, after all tofu is quite a bland flavour. Not quite worth the HKD$5. Better choices available.

No comments:

Post a Comment