Wednesday 4 July 2012

Snack: Hong Kong-style custard tart

Image 1: Hong Kong Style custard tart with butter (biscuit) pastry
Location: 櫻島麵包餅店 Sakurashima bakery
Corner Triangle Street / Wan Chai Road
55 Wan Chai Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
香港島灣仔灣仔道55號


Food synopsis: Warm buttery biscuit pastry and creamy custard filling.

~

Fresh out of the oven, this was a real treat, purchased and eaten at the just the right time of day. The trays of custard tarts had just come out of the oven and the small wafting from this corner stall was too enticing. No matter what time, they always seem to be customers, but at this particular time, there seemed to be more customers packed into the small stall. 

At HKD$2.50 each or 10 for HKD$15, this custard tart has been the cheapest and the most delicious I've ever tasted. The buttery biscuit pastry and the custard were both still warm as I stood outside the shop corner, slowly savouring each sweet creamy bite trying not to get in the way of the bustling housewives doing their shopping along the street. Each time I ducked my head into take another bite, there was always several busy shoppers passing by with both hand filled with red, white plastic bags, some dripping wet from the fresh fish, others bulging with leafy greens, lychees, or bread from this shop.


It definitely didn't last long enough. It was so delicious I tried even to pick out the biscuit crumbs at the bottom of the plastic bag. 

Having said that, it was quite filling. Had to have a late and small dinner after this. I attribute this feeling to the hormonal response to having eaten a lot of fat in meal. I can't remember the metabolic deatils as well as I did. But cholecystokinin, a.k.a CCK, a hormone that is related to fat digesting comes to mind. I think it's got something to do with the feeling of satiety and also signaling lipase production so the fat can be digested when chyme (food that's been through the stomach's digestive actions) reaches the small intestine...

I guess I need to brush up on some basic nutrition physiology! Back to reading Year 1 textbooks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment